Need problem solving?

Call 585-687-8529

Get Quick Resolutions to your Questions or Problems

If you have a question or problem that doesn't require a major effort on my or your part (like the issues itemized below), I can often resolve it with a single phone call, or the drafting of a letter or two, or a quick document review, with advise. This is very efficient for everyone and I can do it at LOW COST. You can even pay me over the phone with a charge card.


Quick answers and resolutions, efficient process, easy pay!


 This can work for a lot of matters! I have been experimenting with this service for a couple of months now and it works great for many clients.


Check out my NEW Cash-flow and Debt Management Solutions page!

Below are some sample question/issues, together with FREE QUICK TIPS!:

  • What do I need to know about nursing home/Medicaid matters for me and my family?
  • Quick Tip: Some people will qualify for Medicaid assistance immediately if they are under the income/resource limits. Some people have substantial assets and will not apply for Medicaid sometimes because they want to select a particular nursing home themselves (instead of Medicaid picking any home for them.) Those in the middle have difficult choices about maximizing exemptions and making transfers in advance. Be careful about transfers, especially, because you can be penalized and loose Medicaid eligibility and have no other way to pay for nursing home care. That will be a major problem.

  • I want a new home improvement contract reviewed before I sign it.
  • Quick Tip:  You can cancel a home improvement contract entered into at your home within three days of signing, in most cases. Nevertheless, you want a contract that protects you and not simply the contractor. Most importantly, you want to investigate the quality of the contractor as the contract is only as good as the parties to it.

  • I want you to review my credit report and to contest some errors.
  • Quick Tip:  If you have been denied credit based on a credit report you are entitled to notice of that and can get a free copy of that report as long as you apply within 60 days of a denial.  You have a right to file a dispute notice for any entry which you contest. In any case, you are entitled to a free copy of your credit report once a year by applying to this website:

  • I am considering a reverse mortgage; what do I need to watch out for?
  • Quick Tip:  A reverse mortgage may be very useful if you need to draw upon accumulated equity in your home, perhaps to used to pay other bills or to subsidize your household cash flow. They can, however, be expensive and complicated to understand. Another major problem is that you may be converting exempt equity in your homestead into nonexempt bank accounts, for example, compromising your ability to qualify for Medicaid nursing home subsidies.  Most reverse mortgage  programs will refer you to a counselor who can help you with some issues. But if you have any significant reservations about this product, you should consult with a consumer attorney.

  • How do I deal with creditor/debt collector harassment?
  • Quick Tip:  There are federal and new New York State laws which give consumer debtors a great deal of leverage to defend against harassing or abusive debt collection.  Debt collectors (but not necessarily actual creditors) have a duty to disclose to you some of those rights, including a list of exempt assets and income and the right to request termination of collection activity. That doesn't mean you can stop them from suing you, however. In any case there are numerous strategies to deal with delinquent debt as long as you know what "buttons to push" with the collectors. In most cases, it pays to engage a consumer lawyer experienced with finding your leverage to deal with delinquent debt.

  • How do I prepare to sue someone in small claims court?
  • Quick Tip:  Even before filing your claim, make sure you have sufficient evidence to prove it. What that evidence is depends on the nature of the claim but it might include eyewitness testimony, documentation like contracts and leases, proofs of payment, photos, and written expert evaluations and repair estimates.

  • How do I defend myself in small claims court?
  • Quick Tip:  If you have a claim against the person suing you arising out of the same set of circumstances make sure you file a counterclaim with the court just after you've been served with the complaint. You will want to make sure to marshal your evidence to defend the other party's claim and to prove your own. Refer to the quick tip above for details.

  • I received a class action notice and I need advise.
  • Quick Tip:  The sad reality is that most class-action cases result in generous attorney fees to the lawyers bringing the claim and only modest benefits to the class members. However, you should read carefully what the claim is about, whether you've been damaged by any acts by the defendant, and what amount of damages you incurred. Sometimes you can get a significant recovery of money or an important change in the way the defendant deals with you in the future.  One common benefit is free credit report monitoring which you ought to take advantage of, say in the case of an account hacking.

  • I have been laid off of my job and received a package with a lot of legal releases and the like. Will you review it for me?
  • Quick Tip:  Almost always, an employer will ask you to sign away all kinds of important rights including the right to sue them, waive your day in a court of law and require arbitration, and confidentiality and noncompete provisions. The confidentiality provisions can expose you to significant liability even in innocent communications. The noncompete provisions can prevent you from new employment or doing the job that you're qualified for for a significant period of time.  These packages should be reviewed carefully, preferably by an attorney.

  • I have been the victim of an identity theft; what should I do?
  • Quick Tip:   There are a lot of kinds of identity theft ranging from a roommate or family member stealing your identity documents and misusing them to clever online (and mostly invisible) hacking into your bank and vendor accounts. For the first kind, you should notify the police and file a complaint. For most others, you will notify effected third parties – like banks and vendors, place a fraud alert on your credit reports,  and monitor your normal statements and transactions. Sometimes more sophisticated techniques may be necessary but they would apply to significant losses and you would probably want to engage a consumer attorney to help you fix things.

  • I need help modifying my mortgage.
  • Quick Tip:  There are some lenders, usually local ones, which actually retain your mortgage loan. Often you can simply contact them and make a proposal to reorganize your payment schedules or amounts. Mostly, however, mortgages are packaged into investments, sold to third parties, and serviced by entities which provide borrowers services which are unresponsive, dismissive, and/or incompetent.

    There are both federal and state rights which regulate these situations but they occur so frequently that the authorities rarely have the resources to get involved unless there are thousands of similarly-effected individuals. If you can't get your problem adjusted yourself, you may need to engage in experience consumer attorney.

  • Will you review my new apartment lease?
  • Quick Tip:  Most apartment leases are pretty straightforward although occasionally you'll see some consumer-unfriendly provisions like extended notice provisions with penalties before terminating the lease and overreaching cleaning and maintenance demands upon termination. The most important thing about an apartment lease is not the document itself but the quality of the landlord. For that, you should do your investigation before signing anything. That means word-of-mouth referrals, Better Business Bureau evaluations, and especially checking County Clerk records for lawsuits and judgments involving your prospective landlord.

  • Can you help me collect a debt?
  • Quick Tip:  Sometimes collecting a debt means simply go to small claims court if the amount at stake is below $5000  ($3000 in town and village courts.)  Most people can handle that situation themselves provided they have prepared the necessary proof of their claim (see above.) However, obtaining a judgment against somebody does not mean getting paid. For that, you'll need to know information about whether the debtor has collectible income and/or assets. Even if you have that, you will need how to provide the required legal notices and engage a Sheriff or Marshall to serve process.

  • And more.

Call me at 585-687-8529 or email me at